Wales’ record try-scorer Shane Williams has revealed that he would love to be involved in the national team in a coaching capacity when he retires from playing.
The 34-year-old will make his last appearance for Wales against Australia in December and has already turned his attention to coaching in the second part of his rugby career.
Speaking about future possibilities, he said:
“I’d like to be [Wales coach], I know it’s a tough job. It would be nice to do it one day because I love Welsh rugby and I’ll keep loving Welsh rugby even after I finish playing.
I’d like to do something with Wales in the future as a coach or something else.I’ve had a great time with Wales and the Ospreys, it has been my life and hopefully it stays that way even when I finish playing.”
Williams then spoke further about his ambitions, speaking about attempting to emulate Rob Howley in going from a star player to involved successfully in the managerial set-up.
He continued:
“I used to dream of playing for Wales so why not? I’d love to come back and do something like Rob Howley. For Rob to be coaching Wales after finishing rugby not that long ago is incredible.
And what he brings to the way Wales want to attack, he gets overshadowed a little bit as he really does a lot with Wales.
If I could do something like that and be as successful as Rob in a few years then great. I’d love to be part of it.”
For now though, Williams will be extremely determined to go out on a high against Australia next month. He has scored 57 tries in a variety of Wales Rugby Shirts and would love to add to this tally one last time.
Speaking last week, Wales coach Warren Gatland said:
“Shane is playing well at the moment and we want him to start against the Wallabies.
He has been a magnificent servant, not just to Welsh rugby, but to the world game and fans who believe he deserves a magnificent send-off will not be disappointed.”